Thursday, May 26, 2011

Amazing First Draft of Chapter One

Just finished the first draft of chapter one of my new work and I have to say, I've learned quite a bit from all the editing I did on RH. I am painting a much better picture than I did with the first draft of the previous chapters I'd worked on and its making me think i won't have to do nearly as much revising as I did before. I am happy so far and the story has a nice, decent flow. I am trying to make it a work in itself so that it will not have to rely on RH too much. I am giving some background and details so in case someone just picked it up off the shelf, they could still read the work and get a good story out of it. Going to take a couple of days break now as I already know what chapter 2 will be. As I have practiced before, I always stop writing when I have a good idea going. It helps me by keeping writer's block at bay so when I go back to work, I can just pick up right where I left off without so much as a hiccup.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing sometimes how your writing skills can evolve from project to project. It's true the more you write the better you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was Hemingway who said it is best to stop writing while you are still in midchapter, rather than finishing a chapter. This allows you to avoid writer's block because you will know exactly what you will start writing the next time you sit down. You seem to have the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wrote about that a few months ago. I do that all the time. It's never a lack of ideas as to what to write about, it's just making sure i supply enough detail in most cases.

    ReplyDelete