Thursday, December 2, 2010

Precious Things

As writers, we are often told that we lead a second life and that as we write we deal with our emotions of our real lives along with those of our "writing life". I couldn't agree more on this as I am finding it more difficult to separate my "writing life" feelings from my real life feelings. Take this novel I am writing. The first few chapters were fine, I was able to handle all the emotion quite well. However these last couple of chapters are the real heart of the book and it's getting very difficult to handle all of what I am writing. It's 100% fiction mind you, but to express the feelings of my characters I find ti necessary to take on their emotional baggage. My writing turns our great, however when it's time to turn off the computer and get some sleep, I find myself tossing and turning with my emotions working overtime. I know i am making too close a connection between myself and my characters, but if I don't have that connection, my writing suffers.

If anyone knows any techniques on how to keep my writing edge, yet be able to separate myself from the baggage that comes with it, that would be quite helpful.





3 comments:

  1. It's almost as if the character is getting expressed through you..so it's probably good to savour the emotions and appreciate the different perspectives that come along with it- much like actors.
    One thing to remember is that you are its writer. I find that helps, because it is your pen guiding the story to life, so you can't quite collapse under the baggage yet! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes all the characters I write have certain characteristics of mine it seems, especially the central characters. I guess we write what we know, and we know our feelings and how we think about things. It's difficult to separate yourself entirely, but perhaps it can give the characters strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just worry sometimes. About a year ago I was an emotion wreck for reasons I will not mention here. I am much better now that I have goals and am in college, however the last thing I want is to fall into that dark hole again. I think I am managing pretty well, but still I do have that concern. I guess I need to walk that fine line between my writing and my life.

    ReplyDelete